Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Exactly my point on Privacy Issues regarding Social Media

  • ff


  • How do you feel about the loss of privacy that comes from sharing information commercially?
    I am selective about what information I give out and to whom. 56.28%
    On principle, I don't give out personal information for commercial use. 40.62%
    My life is an open book. I'm not at all reluctant to share information. 3.10%
  • Wary consumers: Of the 1,462 readers who voted, 97% are still guarded about the information they'll share commercially. If private information is as readily available as we're told, perhaps their strategy is to stay off the radar and avoid becoming a target. But with so much of the focus on issues like identity theft, we've already rewritten our definitions of privacy. --Eva Schmatz, president, Summus Limited

The above study by Summus Limited proves my point. Consumers do not realize that when they enter an SMS Campaign (especially a loyalty program for recurring contact) that they are giving away their phone numbers. And when Brands and Agencies promote behavioral targeting of people by listening to conversations on Social Networks and then serving them 'relevant' push advertising, this is going to upset a lot of people. The last thing I want is people revolted by Social Networks or Mobile Marketing because of privacy concerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment